Welcome to Always Running Latte, where you can expect to find posts about anything and everything that’s fitness/food/fun-related and more! I’m Jackie, a 26-year-old teacher currently living in & exploring Arlington, VA and the DC area. My life is a not-so-perfect balance of running, yoga, DIYs, travel, and your typical mid-twenty-something shenanigans. I certainly don’t claim to have it all together [hence: always running lat(te)e, get it?], but I’d love to have you join me in my escapades as I try to figure it all out and share what I’ve learned along the way!
In the spirit of sharing, here are a few random things you may not know about me, in an orderly, listed fashion, of course:
1. I love lists. And color-coded calendars. And symmetrical things and squeaky clean spaces and crumbless toaster ovens (this is a tough one to maintain and a constant strain on my relationship and yes, I know it’s completely ridiculous). However, I also spill my coffee on every test I grade (which my fourth graders have grown to love, actually…sorry about your future caffeine addictions, kiddos!) and can’t go an entire 24 hours without dropping my phone on my face. So there’s that.
2. I studied psychology (no, I’m not analyzing you while we speak), French (yes, I am fluent), and education (no witty comment) at Pitt and miss those years dearly! Anyone who wants to meet the most genuine, down-to-earth city people in the world: go visit Pittsburgh. And eat a homemade waffle cone at Dave & Andy’s for me.
3. I have been infected with the travel bug since the day I graduated from high school. My favorite faraway destinations so far? Brussels, Belgium, Sevilla, Spain, and of course, Paris. I’ve got quite the itinerary coming up this year, though, so we’ll see if any of these get the boot! Next up: Costa Rica, Vegas, & the Cayman Islands.
4. My favorite foods are chocolate, cheese, avocado, and macarons from Bakeshop . Not in that order, and certainly not at the same time. I’ve tried some of those “healthy fat, good for you” avocado brownie recipes that are floating around in cyberspace, and I do NOT recommend.
5. Although running has only been a major part of my life for a few years, it’s definitely taken hold with no signs of letting go. In my whirlwind first 2 years of “serious” running, I graduated from my first 5k all the way to my first full marathon! I had never dreamed I’d be able to run 26.2, let alone finish and want to do it again, but Marine Corps Marathon had me hooked. Now I’m striving to increase my times & explore the world via race registrations.
6. I absolutely love to read. Although I wish I could say this has been a lifelong habit, reading really didn’t click for me until later on in life. But with the help of my little yellow Kindle and its oh-so-instant access to anything and everything my bookworm heart desires, I think I’ve made up for lost time. 🙂
7. I have a mild obsession with the National Zoo’s baby panda, Bao Bao (Asia Trail at the zoo is a very common destination for my warm-weather runs in the city). My students and I followed her growth on the panda cam all last year, and she became the subject of many a math problem and a perfect little 4th grade mascot!
Anything else you’re dying to know about me? Just ask!